For people traveling by air, bus or train, the Red Cross reminds them that the seasonal flu can occur as early as October. If people have come in contact with someone who is sick, perhaps the trip should be postponed as they may be contagious for a week before symptoms appear.
Other safety tips to avoid the flu while traveling include the following:
- Remember that everything someone touches has to be touched by someone else – luggage handlers, etc. Handle one’s own belongings as much as possible. Wash hands often with soap and water.
- Carry hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial wipes and use them to wash hands or wipe down surfaces such as armrests.
- Bring one’s own pillows and blankets – they can act as a shield against the seat itself.
- If someone has to cough or sneeze, do so into a tissue or sleeve.
- Avoid touching the face or eyes.
|The above is an excerpt from the article, “Travel Safely During Thanksgiving Holiday.” For more information, please visit www.redcross.org.|